Curricula's new Assignments feature has redesigned and improved the way admins build and deliver episode content to learners.
This 'How To' guide covers a variety of topics about Curricula's new feature, including:
What is an Assignment?
How to Create an Assignment
How to Edit an in-progress Assignment
Configuring default settings for all Assignments
What to do if you already set your training schedule
What is an ‘Assignment’?
Assignments are pieces of content that can be scheduled and delivered to learners as part of their training program. Each assignment is made up of three distinct components:
- Content — Curricula training episodes that can be scheduled to be completed.
- Audience — The learners that will be enrolled in and required to complete the assignment. Assignment audiences can now include learners associated with different Groups, Departments, or Tags.
- Settings — The specific controls selected to govern how learners will proceed through and interact with the assignment.
In short, an Assignment is a new, redesigned way of planning, scheduling, and delivering training throughout your Curricula program.
The ‘Groups’ tab of the Curricula admin platform will continue to allow admins to define learner access/authentication settings as well as utilize auto-syncing capabilities from external user management directories.
Curricula training schedules and notifications will now be managed through the new 'Assignments’ tab in the Curricula admin platform. Admins can create/launch new assignments or edit in-progress assignments.
How to Create an Assignment
To create an assignment, navigate to the ‘Assignments’ tab of the Curricula admin platform and click ‘New’ to begin. The Assignment builder will have four steps to complete in order to create your new assignment.
Step 1: Add Content
Begin by selecting the Content you want to include in the new assignment.
- Click the 'Add Content' button in the middle of the screen.
2. Scroll through the episode list and select the episode(s) you want to add to your new assignment. (Episodes can be previewed before adding them by clicking the ‘Preview’ button under the episode’s title and description.) Click 'Done' when you are finished adding episodes to your assignment.
3. Next, click the settings icon on any episodes you wish to customize. Episodes can be customized by setting a minimum passing score, selecting the month and day each episode will unlock for your learners to complete, and/or adding a company Policy Link or Security Contact to display at the end of the episode.
4. Finalize your content selections. Use the delete icon to remove any episode you do not wish to use. Click the ‘Add More Content’ button at the bottom to return to the episode list.
5. Once your content is selected and customized to your liking, click ‘Next’ at the top right of the screen to proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Audience
Next, select the audience (i.e. learners) who will be responsible for completing the new training assignment.
Select ‘All Learners’ if the new assignment applies to everyone in your Curricula training program, regardless of their specific Group, Department, or Tag.
If only a smaller segment of your learner base will be required to complete the new assignment, select ‘Custom Segment’. From there either choose ‘Add Condition’ to assign this new training to learners belonging to a specific Group, Department, or Tag or ‘Add Extra’ to select learners individually.
Curricula can also automatically enroll future Learners into in-progress assignments as long as they belong to the audience selected for the assignment. To enable this, simply check the ‘Automatic Enrollment’ box.
Once your audience settings are complete, click ‘Next’ to proceed.
Step 3: Configure
With the Content and Audience set, there are few more important settings to complete before officially creating the new assignment.
First, set the beginning and ending dates for the new assignment in the ‘Assignment Dates’ section. By default, assignments are set to begin immediately after they are created and remain available on an ongoing basis. These settings can be adjusted according to your needs by clicking the Change button beside either option.
Select the date and time of your choice to determine when the assignment will begin and end.
The Settings section allows the Admin to manage how the learners interact with the assigned episodes in the learner platform. Enable ‘Restricted Navigation’ to require learners to complete episodes in the order they are assigned. Additionally, you can enable ‘Show Locked Content’ so that learners will be able to see which episodes they will need to complete in the future as a part of their assigned training.
Finally, complete the ‘Notifications’ section to ensure your learners will be notified when they have training to complete as a part of the assignment. Curricula offers four unique types of Notification for each assignment.
- Enrollment notifications inform learners when they are added to a training assignment for the first time.
- Completed Assignment notifications inform learners when they have completed the assignment.
- Content Unlocked notifications inform learners when training episodes included in the assignment become available for them to complete.
- Content Reminders notifications are delivered weekly, on the day and time selected, to learners who have not yet completed all unlocked training episodes assigned to them.
Check the boxes beside each notification you wish to enable as a part of the new assignment. Custom messages can also be added to display in each enabled notification; they are a great way to communicate any specific instructions directly to your learners.
After configuring these assignment settings, click ‘Next’ at the top right of the screen to proceed.
Step 4: Review and Create
After completing Steps 1-3, all that remains is reviewing and creating the new assignment.
Begin by giving the new assignment a relevant ‘Title’ and a ‘Description’ of your choice (both will be displayed to your learners from the Curricula Learner’s dashboard).
Next, review the information included in the Assignment Summary section, which presents the number of learners in scope for the new assignment, as well as the dates when the assignment will start and end. You can also return to steps 1-3 to make any changes needed before launching the new assignment.
Finally, click ‘Launch Assignment’ and it will officially go live.
How to Edit an In-Progress Assignment
Occasionally you may want to make changes to an assignment after it has been launched.
The good news is that an assignment can be edited in a variety of ways even as it is in-progress — no need to cancel and create a new one from scratch. All changes made to in-progress assignments will be updated in real-time.
So if you are an admin and want to either add or remove episodes, make changes to the training audience, or adjust the dates, notifications, or access settings for a particular assignment, this section will explain how!
To edit an assignment from the Curricula admin platform, first, navigate to the ‘Assignments’ tab, locate the assignment you want to edit, and select it.
Next, click on the tab of the section you want to edit — this can be either ‘Content’, ‘Audience’, or ‘Settings’.
Editing Assignment Content
From the ‘Content’ tab, you can add content to in-progress assignments by clicking the ‘Add More Content’ button and selecting content from the episode list just as when the assignment was initially created.
Newly added episodes will appear at the bottom of the assignment’s content list.
Episodes can also be customized from the assignment’s ‘Content’ tab by clicking on the settings icon. From here you can adjust the episode’s minimum passing score, the date that episode unlocks and becomes available for learners to complete, or add a Policy Link or Security Contact to the end of the episode.
Finally, click ‘Save’ on the yellow banner near the top of the screen to lock in the changes.
Editing an Assignment’s Audience
An assignment’s audience can also be changed using the ‘Learners’ tab.
The current audience settings will be displayed once you open the ‘Learners’ tab. From here, you can change the assignment’s audience by selecting ‘All Learners’, or by selecting ‘Custom Segment’ and adding the appropriate conditions to target specific ‘Groups’, ‘Departments’, or ‘Tags’, or adding learners individually using the ‘Add Extras’ button.
You can also enable ‘Automatic Enrollment’ for an in-progress assignment so learners added to the training program in the future will be automatically added to the assignment.
Click ‘Save’ on the yellow banner at the top of the screen to lock in the changes.
Finally, you can edit the settings you originally selected for an assignment while it is in-progress. Simply navigate to the assignment’s ‘Settings’ tab to begin making these edits.
From there, you can add/remove start or end dates under the ‘Assignment Dates’ section, require learners to complete episodes in the order they were scheduled under the ‘Settings’ section, or adjust notification settings under the ‘Notifications’ section.
Click ‘Save’ on the yellow banner at the top of the screen to lock in the changes.
Curricula’s episode-based reporting will now be available at the assignment level, so platform managers can go to the ‘Overview’ section of the specific assignment to track learner progress and performance.
Click to open the specific assignment whose data you are looking to find. Two assignment-specific reports will display on the ‘Overview’ tab:
- The ‘Overview’ report, which gives high-level data points like the assignment’s overall completion rate and the average score learners have achieved so far for all completed episodes. These data points are then broken down and displayed on an episode-to-episode basis below. The overview report can be downloaded into an easy-to-read .pdf by clicking the ‘Export to PDF’ button at the top right of the section.
- The ‘Learner Completion’ report, where you can track the progress of each learner through each episode already available in the assignment. This table can be downloaded into a .csv by clicking the ‘Export to CSV’ on the right side of the page.
Configuring Default Settings for All Assignments
While some customers will prefer the flexibility of configuring Assignment settings individually, Curricula does offer the option of enabling default settings that will apply to all Assignments created as a part of your training program.
Note: Even if you enable default Assignment settings on your account, they can be overridden when creating or editing individual assignments(see above.)
Default Assignment settings can be added to your account from the Account Panel. Here’s how you do it:
- From the Curricula admin platform, click on ‘User’ and then ‘Account’ from the top right corner of the screen. This will direct you to the Account Panel.
- Select ‘Settings’ and click on the ‘Assignments’ tab.
- Configure the settings that you want to become standard for any Assignments you will create. Configurable settings include defaults for passing scores, navigation controls, and notifications.
- Once your settings are configured, click the Save buttons to update.
Already Have a Training Schedule? Here’s What You Need to Do
Training schedules that have already been created for the new year will be automatically converted to assignments for you. You can find them under the ‘Assignments’ tab of the Curricula admin platform.
However, all notifications have been disabled as a result of the conversion process. Curricula admins will need to go in and re-enable these notifications from the ‘Assignments’ tab.
See the ‘How to Edit an In-Progress Assignment’ section above for instructions on how to enable automated notifications for your newly converted assignments. You can also make changes to your assignment’s training schedule, audience, and other settings even if the assignment is in-progress.
If you have any questions about Assignments or need technical support, please submit a support ticket using the link below: